Tuesday, March 7, 2023

2014-15 Toro HDXD no start issue finally solved

Lets back track to last summer.

HDXD # 1 jumped solenoid out on course to get it started to bring in shop.

Checked all components in the start circuit as per instructions and schematic.

No luck, so I tried a little swapnostics with solenoid with other unit and still no luck, but now both machines had the same issue.

Summers in full swing and grinding needed to be done so I simulated the crossing the solenoid with a switch.  

Guys got use to it so Iet it ride till winter service to solve the problem.

Could have just left it but it could have started without depressing clutch first.

In this business I could see this biting me in the a$$ later on at some point.  

 


Guys and gals got use to turning key on till glow plug lite went out and then hit the self-centering toggle switch


Picked up power from hot side of solenoid to switch and back to start wire.


After re trouble shooting everything in the start circuit, I gave Bill a call at Veseys.
The wire harness off the relay on right is for the start circuit. Bill says there should be battery voltage on the yellow wire.
No voltage so double-checking schematic again it shows that the small wire runs of the glow plug yellow wire on the relay next to it in pick. Which showed battery voltage.? After rechecking everything again I decided the wire must be damaged and wondered why it would have happened to both machines at nearly the same time.
Soooooo after pulling that yellow wire out of wire loom I found this!



Yep a fuse tucked under harness that's not in schematic.
That's my go to when looking at one for this type of issue. It threw me of.
Made sense after I found it because I've seen the same set up on other toro equipment. 5410 come to mind. Which also reminded me of the very random blown fuse they used to have.
When my other unit comes in I'm going to clean the starter in case it was dragging a bit and popped the fuse. 
This was the original problem machine.  



Oh, by the way get yourself one of these power probes, they are amazing.


Where the arrow is I'll mark in a fuse for future reference. 


Zip tied the hydraulic line down that the screws are digging in to get it out of the way.







Zip tied fuse holder in a better visual location.

So glad that's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment