Thursday, March 12, 2020

Toro HDXD rear wheel bearing (Aftermarket)

We have 3...... 2015  HDXD 600 to 1000 hours .They have gone through many rear wheel bearings .I have never seen these similar type bearing go so quick on other equipment in the past . Hauling heavy loads on paved cart paths with the crazy tight turning abilities of them might be the cause or cheap out sourcing of parts in production . Take your pick . All I know is that they have been changed out twice under warranty and now it's my problem !
Last time I checked a few years ago the OEM bearing was near or over 600.00$ Canadian .Last year looking around I found the local auto choice had them for 153.00 $ but needed some customizing to make it work .Held up for a few seasons and still tight as the day it was put on . 
After checking the last unit on the lift I noticed a little play in one rear OEM bearing AGAIN. Wajax had this bearing for 171.00$ .  



This bearing works with a little customizing . OEM Bearings are front access and these are rear access....so

Metric studs . you will need 12m x 1.75 hub nuts . OEM ones will go one but don't be fooled they are slightly different and will strip out over time . 

  
Drill out just enough to take threads out 

  
Drill a 7/8" hole with carbide hole drill bit . I used a 1 " the first time but I think this will be big enough to get front access .


Off set so your not drilling into flange .Some Timken hubs have flush mounted studs . This one did not so the hub bolt heads may need a slight grind to get better clearance . 


and done .

This ones been on for over 400 hours a record .I even painted it red for my experiment . A little reworking to save 400$ to last longer than the OEM ones .....I'll take my chances . 

No comments:

Post a Comment