Monday, January 7, 2019

Is it reely Broke ( Warn winch save )

Old style  warn 4000 winch . Parts needed for repair are not available .

A few weeks back I had my student tear down the old winch since it wasn't working anymore . It's great learning tool to figure out how things are put together .


After disassembling most of the parts .We had to figure out how the gears come out .

One clip holds it all in .


 Notice the catch problem and didn't think anymore about how it could be saved . It came to me later the following week . 
This part of the job that I enjoy . Making something from nothing and having a positive result at near 0 cost . It happens once in a while .


The issue I believe is that the engaging pin was a little short and over time started slipping on the catches . For repair I'm using a grade 8 bolt . 


Cut the hex head off and ground thread off to make a pin just a little bit longer .


Turned out pretty good '


Using the 4.5 hand grinder with a cut off wheel I was able to square up the catch notches on the gear .



Not sure how long it will last but it's going again .

No comments:

Post a Comment