Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Toro 5410 reel motor rebuild

While grinding reels I noticed grease oozing out of one . On closer inspection it looked unusually wet


I knew which reel it was on machine because they are pre-marked before removal . The reel motor in question was cleaned off well and left hanging . Next day you could see the dyed oil leaking out . 


Easier to remount reel motor to remove hoses .



Elevating the lines will keep them from leaking out hydraulic fluid or you can cap them off.

Cap off fittings before cleaning


A little ZEP and small brushes did a great job .


Instructions say to mark a line across the top


Empty out the hydraulic oil .Shop service manual available on Toro site . Read over the directions before starting .

Put in vise just tight enough to loosen of bolts


Kit from Toro . Most of the time it's just the shaft seal that is gone . I'll take mine apart and check for wear .1900 hrs on this one .


Saving some packing material from deliveries makes a nice clean foam surface to lay out the parts


Remove all the seals . I'll leave one section on gears to keep them in their positions.


Pre lube seals with vasaline ( not something I carry in the shop )but pipe lube works great to .


Install new seals the section ones where a bit hard to get in and have to be almost flush . Otherwise spline will not turn . I also wrapped the sharp splines with Teflon tape to protect the seal when in stalling end caps .


Tighten hand tight and torque to spec in a criss x cross manner a little at a time till you reach 11 to 15 ft.lbs, Re-install on mower and run ..check for leaks . The instructions are great and fairly easy to do .




6 comments:

  1. Great blogs Bob Im doing a deere 2500 tomorrow. Whats the reason for the line on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure I have electric motors on ours . If it’s a small line it’s just a return line if the reel gets jamb . At least that’s what I’m thinking. Most reel motors are easy to rebuild . Just do it in a nice clean area on a piece of cardboard wouldn’t hurt either . If you have hydraulic schematic it should show it .

      Delete
  2. I think Brad meant the line marked on top with a maker. That is just so it gets reassembled correctly and the ends don't get flipped. You do the same with wheel motors and steering valves etc so the sections go back in correct orientation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes that is correct . For alignment of parts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes that is correct . For alignment of parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotcha this is my first time doing one does the gears have timing marks that need lining up? I'm asking because I have one apart now and by accident I took both gear caps off and I don't see any lines or dots to line up does it matter ?

    ReplyDelete