Friday, August 23, 2013

Jacobsen GK IV noise complaint experiment

Being a course on the fringe of the city of Halifax we occasionally get noise complaints . Where trying to be pro active and keeping away from certain areas on the course the best we can .
One of the noise culprits is our GK IV 3 cylinder diesel Kubota engine . The factory exhaust doesn't really deal with noise to much it is basically a short straight pipe .
So yesterday I had a little time and the go ahead to try to quite this one down .
Like I said it was an experiment so some of the pipe connections I made up from my metal bin .
I came right off the factory exhaust with my homemade 90 . the auto parts store sent over a cheap exhaust to try out . Ran out of pipe but made some thing up for the exit side so water wouldn't get in .

A small video .The phone as usually might amplify the noise but the operator was able to sneak up on me while I was using a flex 21 mowing greens this morning . Usually I can hear him coming from the previous hole .


Now that I know I can cut the noise down by at least half I'll get some custom pipes bent this winter at muffler shop . No noticeable power loss either .
A few more pics . Welded nuts to 3/8 rod for support bracket.
another pic of home made elbows for experiment . The 2005 on filter is when it's due for the next oil change .
Had taken some spacer sleeves off the tru turf roller spiker attachment that we don't use and welded them to homemade pipes so muffler could be clamped in place with clamps .
Has gone out twice now with no issues or power loss .   






No comments:

Post a Comment