Monday, December 17, 2012

L4200 kubota oil pan replacement

Recently I was pushing back some compost and noticed that the 4 wd was not working . After getting off the tractor to talk to the guys chipping I noticed the tractor was leaking engine oil at a good rate . Being near the shop I put it in the bay for inspection . 
 4 WD spline shaft and sleeves
 After closer inspection I found the front axle tube bearing missing and the bolt holes stripped out . They must have worked their way loose . The tractor was sent out last year for a complete front axle overhaul . I should have rechecked the torque on the bolts to make sure they where in spec . after it was used for a while . The front axle was tilting back and forth causing the pin to shear on the 4 wd sleeve which in turned beat cracks into the oil pan .

The rear 4 bolt ones seemed to be ok . I used the loader bucket to raise the front of tractor and blocked it up with plating and jack stands . To get the oil pan off you will have to drop the axle tube .There are 2 bolts behind it that can't be removed otherwise . I didn't worry about disconnecting the steering linkage . Place a pump floor jack and I used a 6x6 on top and place it in the center of axle tube . Then remove the front wheels . Makes it easier to maneuver without the added weight  .

Remove all the oil pan bolts . Scrape any gasket material off after . I took a visual look at the bottom end , everything looked nice and clean . 

 The gasket has to go on a certain way , There are a couple of oil return areas in the block , so the extra 2 hole have to line up here . I used some sealant on one side to hold the gasket in place . The service manual didn't show the torque or pattern of bolts . As a rule of thumb you start with the center bolts and alternate working your way out to the ends . I torque mine at 25 lbs. Then reassemble in reverse order torque everything down to spec's .I would suggest lock tight on axle tube bearing bolts .If your tractor has the 4 wd then remove the pins in the sleeves and slide them on the splined shaft then slide it into the protective tube . You put the splined shaft in between front axle and transmission . Slide the sleeves onto shafts look through the pin holes to see if your in between the shafts then install a new roll pin on both ends . Slide the tubes over and lock in place with the set screws . 

In my case I had to maneuver the front axle around to drill and re-tap holes for thread inserts . I installed all the front axle tube bearing bolts with red lock tight . Torque to 115 lbs . I plan on checking them in the near future to see if it holds up . Using the jack stand this way I found it fairly easy to line everything back up .

Looks like we need a little more training . Damaged caused by ramming into piles . If used properly in the right gears for the job being done this can easily be avoided . I had some old plow shoe blades for material to repair damage .
Back in cold storage waiting for work . 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing.

    An oil pan replacement is an tough task to be performed. We need the pump and kits that can easily perform the task. Online dealers like country sale and services are premium dealers of online Kubota overhaul kits. They offers quality OEM Kubota overhaul kits. These kits will be helpful for you to get the job done.